Monday 13 July 2009

Stand Aside, Your Too Old.

Life is never simple and straight forward. In some country's like Korea, the old are respected and even revered, sadly not so here in the UK.

When your young, people are quick to say for example, "You won't achieve much in any chosen field, especially writing, until you are older and have some life experience behind you."

So the years go by, you become older and have amassed a wealth of knowledge, wisdom and experience, only to be told, "Sorry your too old, youth is what it's all about."


When I was about twelve, there was a crisis in the family and we went to live with my aunt and uncle in Kent, until the situation at home was sorted out.
I have always had a vivid imagination and loved to read and write stories. Fantasy has always been a favorite of mine.

I remember shutting myself away in the attic with paper and pencils, determined to try and write a story. I persisted for nearly a week, only coming downstairs for food.
My aunt said nothing, she left me to carry on, just calling me for meals.

However eventually I began to realize that what I was trying to write was just no good, and this writing business was not as easy as I thought.
And so in a fit of frustration, I tore up all the paper and stomped downstairs in tears, my aunt did her best to comfort me, and I will always remember what she said.

"Don't try to write a novel at your age. Perfect your English and spelling at school, and practice writing short stories. Then when your older, and if you still want to write, you will have your life experiences to draw on. Then is the time to start writing novels."
Those were true words and stuck with me.
My aunt was a very good writer, having had a number of plays and short stories published.

I am older now, and certainly have a wealth of life experiences to draw on. But guess what, no one wants to know. I am too old and should stand aside for the young.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for encouraging the youngsters, but does that mean I should just lie down and die, because I happen to be in my early sixties?

Does my age mean I no longer have any imagination? That the talents I had when I was young are no longer present in my life? I don't think so. My body may be older, but my mind is as active as any young person.
The inner child encapsulated in this body is as vibrant and full of life as it ever was.
Am I going to lie down and die? not on your life. While there is breath in my body, I will continue to be creative. In fact I might even create a little havoc. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment