Tuesday 28 July 2009

Let Go And Let God.

Is it just me? or do others struggle to understand some of the very important aspects of spiritual truth.

For years I seem to have struggled with the Biblical teaching that tells us to surrender all that we are and have to God. Try as I might I just could not seem to get it, I wanted to, don't get me wrong, but I just had no idea how to do it.

I remember reading a book called 'Hinds Feet on High Places' It was very good and was written in such a way that it appealed to my vivid imagination. Oh how I wished that I could lay myself on the alter of sacrifice, like the main protagonist and rise up a changed person.
A person no longer in control of their life, because that life had truly been handed over to God.
But sadly I still didn't get it, and some years later God moved me to read the same book again, but to no avail .
How long suffering and patient our Heavenly Father is.

Believe it or not, it is only in these past few days that I am beginning to get the revelation of how to go about it, and I have to say it is truly liberating.

It all came about because of my book 'Valley of Shadows' I have invested an awful lot in it, and I guess was holding onto it very tightly in deed, as the reason for writing it has made it very precious to me.

If I believe that my gifting and imagination have come from God, which I do. Then I have to accept that God has had a major input in my writing, as He most certainly did with my painting.
After all He is the one who inspires and give us the ability to do whatever it is we are doing. I admit that without Him I would never have an original idea, whether for my writing or my painting. He has always been my undeniable inspiration.

So it goes without saying, He has a right to be part of what happens to anything I may have created. Whatever it may be, book, painting, song, it all belongs to Him.
He is the inspiration, without Him we have nothing. God is the original source of all things, all we do as His creation, is copy Him, as a child copies what their father does. He has done it all, as the scripture says"there is nothing new under the sun" God did it all first.

But I digress, back to my question, how to surrender everything to Him?

One evening when our prayer meeting finished, a friend told me she felt God was saying , lay down down 'Valley of Shadows' and give it to Him. And she saw a picture of me taking the book to the foot of the cross and leaving it there.

She could see I wanted to do it but was struggling as to how. So she suggested I take it upstairs to one of our rooms that has a cross on the wall, with a small shelf beneath it. She suggested I put the book there and leave it with God, Trusting Him to do all that was needed.
I did what she suggested and suddenly the penny dropped and low and behold I understood.
I got the revelation, it was wonderful.

Okay that doesn't mean I am not tempted sometimes to take it back. But each time I am in that room and see the book on the shelf, it helps me, I remember who the book really belongs to, and that it is His responsibility, not mine.

That doesn't mean I don't have a part to play. I have a responsibility to do my bit to promote it, and then God does His. Like a team, and what a team, when we allow God to have His rightful place in our lives. Right at the centre and in full control it takes all the pressure away from us. Then and only then will we truly fulfill His plan and purpose for our lives.

We have to let go and let God. Then stand back and watch Him work on our behalf. After all He has invested as much in what we have created, as we have.
What a mighty God we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment